Do you want to furnish your home, but don’t know where to start?
Many people specially new couples face this challenge when they start thinking about furnishing their new home. They wonder about their preferable design style and the colors they should choose for the furniture.
The following conversation usually happens between new couples:
Aly: I called my cousin and he said there’s a good shop in Nasr city. Let’s go there.
Salma: I also called my cousin who told me about a shop in the Fifth Settlement with good prices, and they can give us a discount.
Aly: Great! So what is your preferable design style?
Salma: I really don’t know. All I know is that there are 3 main design styles, but I don’t know what they are or where to get them from.
Aly: So what colors should we choose for the fabrics and paints?
Salma: One of my friends did the coﬀee color; I’ll ask her where she got it from.
Aly: Unfortunately, I don’t like this color. I’d love to add more light and cheerful colors to our home!
Salma: Me too! So what shall we do?!
We can understand from this short conversation the challenges new couples face when they furnish their home:
- The first issue is that of the design style and which one to choose.
When it comes to interior designing, there are three styles, each belongs to a different era:
1. The Classic style: From 2700 B.C. to 1800 A.D.
2. The Modern style: From 1800 A.D. to 1950s
3. The Contemporary style: From 1950s till now.
The most famous design styles in Egypt nowadays are:
- From the Classic style: The Baroque, Rococo (Louis 13, 14, 15, 16) and Neo classic.
- From the Modern style: The Eclectic, Modern, and Art Deco.
- From the Contemporary style: The Mid-century modern, Transitional, and Bohemian.
There are also other styles that appeared in different countries, like the Mediterranean, Arabic, and Scandinavian styles.
You can find below some photos for the design styles mentioned here, as well as some inspirations for these styles on Pinterest.
- The second issue concerns the colors, which we’ll discuss it in the next article. So stay tuned.
Now we know the most famous design styles currently used in Egypt, and we’ve solved the first challenge facing Aly and Salma.